Academic, Social, and Physical Education for Boys
by Mary Jane Maloney Leone and Joseph M. Lalley
“Gibbons Hall is more than a boys’ school whose graduates enjoy academic success. Every day a dedicated faculty seeks to enhance each boy’s intellectual, spiritual, emotional, social, and physical growth. Although academic standards are high, the faculty makes every effort to recognize the special needs of each boy and to help him realize his potential. The Headmaster is personally acquainted with each boy and his parents. Classes are small enough so that each member of the faculty knows his students intimately,” declared a school brochure in the 1960s.
In the early 1900’s the Religious of Christian Education purchased Victoria Inn on Victoria Road in Asheville. There they established St. Genevieve of the Pines. The school for girls grew through decades to an all-inclusive academy for grades one through twelve and a college program.
In 1949, when the nuns purchased the adjacent Memminger estate on Oakland Road, the campus expanded to a total of 28 acres. With the additional property and buildings, the school established Gibbons Hall as a separate school for boys in grades one through eight. When Gibbons Hall opened, Dan Pinto joined the faculty as headmaster of the boys’ school, and in 1950, Joe Lalley was hired as a teacher and assistant headmaster. In 1960, Mr. Pinto left Gibbons Hall and Mr. Lalley became headmaster.
CAMPUS AND BUILDINGS
The acquisition of the adjoining Memminger estate added classroom space and...