skip to main content

St Genevieve Memories

St. Genevieve's College

memories

In 1910 on the grounds of the Victoria Inn, the College of St. Genevieve of-the-Pines began to offer the only four-year college education for young women in Buncombe County. The college was affiliated with Catholic University in Washington, DC. In 1922, the college moved students into the new Lorin Hall, which offered both classroom and dormitory space. After twenty years, in June 1930, the four-year college closed.

The St. Genevieve Archives has very little information or memorabilia about the College of St. Genevieve. The web manager particularly welcomes submission of materials that will enhance this section of the site.

History
[+] VIEW LARGER

ST. GENEVIEVE COLLEGE:
Offered Four-Year Degrees for Two Decades

by Patricia Anderson

building.jpgIn 1930, experiencing a decline in enrollment, St. Genevieve closed its four-year college, which had granted Bachelor of Arts degrees for fifteen years. The college, founded in 1910, had been officially recognized and empowered with the legal right to confer degrees in 1915, and since 1919, had been a member of the American Council of Education. The institution also earned accreditation from the State of North Carolina and the Southern Association of Women’s Colleges. The school maintained direct ties to Catholic University in Washington, DC, where professors graded the students’ philosophy exams and awarded them high commendations. Among the graduates of St. Genevieve’s College were Margaret Mary Potts, Class of 1928, and Jane McGarraghy, both of whom became Sisters of RCE and taught at St. Genevieve’s.

Mother Margaret Mary MacSwiney established the senior college and served as dean from 1910 until 1930.   Responsible for the development of college courses at SGP and affiliating the college with Catholic University, Mother MacSwiney continued to teach in the junior college and the academy until 1960, serving SGP for fifty years.

The faculty comprised several Sisters who taught in the SGP schools for many years. Mother Naomi Mouquet taught at SGP for more than fifty years, including special classes in advanced French in both the college and academy. Mother Agnes Sharry taught in the high school and college of SGP for several years until 1936. Mother Mabel Monk directed the athletic...

Read More

Carolina Day School
1345 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803
828-274-0757 | carolinaday.org

Website design by The Brite Agency.
Website development by TechLink Solutions.