skip to main content

St Genevieve Memories

St. Genevieve's Junior College


Served Twenty-Five Years

by Patricia Anderson

stanard.jpgEcho of the Pines, the yearbook of St. Genevieve’s junior college, provides a glimpse into life in the two-year program, which was part of St. Genevieve from 1930 -55. The faculty generally included 8 or 10 religious and an equal number of lay faculty. Students enjoyed extracurricular activities as members of the yearbook and newspaper staffs, Modern Language Club, Children of Mary, Glee Club, Discussion Club, and Athletic Club.

Responsible for policies of student government, the Executive Board received reports of serious infringement of rules and heard appeals. The Athletic Club provided additional opportunities for sports, while the Glee Club, the most active in the college, “endeavor[ed] constantly to inspire its audiences with the love and appreciation of music that is so much a living part of all the members…,” according to the 1951 yearbook. The chorus, “small in number but great in the spirit of music,” performed often, both on and off campus.

mouquet.jpgAfter twenty years of two foreign language groups, the French and Spanish clubs, in 1950, the Modern Language Club blended the two “to promote better understanding through knowledge of Franco-Spanish cultural relations…” With a modern, progressive view toward worldwide residence for graduates, the club “encourage[d] any student toward the cultivation and appreciation of patterns of living elsewhere in the world.”

edith_nicholas.jpgAn important project of Children of Mary was to provide clothing for a child of St. Anthony’s Church at the time of his first communion. “The study of timely topics and an interesting exchange of views” gave purpose to the Discussion Club, founded in 1950.

Dedications of the school’s yearbooks (1950-53) reveal those faculty who played particularly significant roles in the lives of the young women. The class of 1950 paid tribute to Mother Noemi Mouquet, “who has given our college many years of inspiration and devoted service.” Mr. Hugh Stanard, “a Christian gentleman; a man who belongs to the world and the world belongs to him; a teacher who has been an inspiration to us through his devotion and loyalty to Lorin Hall,” received the dedication in 1951; he taught Current World Problems and Journalism.

The staff of the ’52 book chose Edith Feliu Lalley, writing, “From her we have learned the true meaning of sincerity and enthusiasm, and the ideals of Christian womanhood. For her guidance and friendship we wish to express our gratitude.” In 1953, Father Nicholas Liston, chaplain and professor, was honored for “his spiritual and intellectual guidance” as he led the students “to truth and friendship.”

When the Class of 1955 graduated from the St. Genevieve Junior College, the two-year school was condensed to the one-year program of the School for Secretaries, which continued through 1980.

Edith LalleyFather Nicolas Liston, chaplain and professorMr. Hugh StanardMother Mouquet
Back To Top
Carolina Day School
1345 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803
828-274-0757 |

Website design by The Brite Agency.
Website development by TechLink Solutions.